Friday, July 14, 2006

Friday July 14, 2006


T-16 Day 25
Marine Corps History III and Leadership

Today, those words above are just letters on a page. I cannot comprehend what they mean. After receiving Tim's two letters today, I have grieved and ranted and raved to family members that have selfishly been too busy and consumed by life's trivial pursuits to write my son a brief letter of encouragement. God forgive me. I just can't fathom why people don't recognize the importance of encouraging another.

I went to the website for parents a few days ago and requested the "parents package" from the USMC. It came with a DVD. This DVD has interviews with other parents of Marine recruits and it has Frank Schaeffer, the author of Keeping Faith, A father-Son Story about Love and The United States Marine Corps. The interview of this author was both much needed and made me desire to read his book ASAP. If you can get your hands on this book prior to your loved one leaving, great, at least get it while they are new to PI (Parris Island). This is a MUST have. I went through exactly the same feelings as this father. Nothing has given me the comfort this book gave me. In caution though, it also opens my eyes to the dangerous potential of suicide in regards to new recruits. My Tim is a mentally strong individual but the rigors these new recruits go through can break a person. Another caution to this book, the language is typical for military, so the faint of heart be forwarned, the F word is used often. Now more than ever, the need to "BATHE" your recruit in prayer is vital and a priority. Don't ever forget to pray for them. It is the backbone these recruits survive on. Next only is letters from home. It should be made mandatory that family should write the recruit daily. It could mean the difference between success and failure.

As I read through this book it is evident my struggles are shared with other parents. Find another group of parents either locally or via blogs and IM's to help keep you sane.

I got this ditty from my grand-daughter Madison. It is a spinoff of Nemo's, "Just keep swimming."

Just keep praying, praying, praying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home