Monday, August 07, 2006

Monday, August 7, 2006

T-36, Day 49

37 days until FAMILY Day!

The crucible is fast approaching for our recruits, a little over four weeks from now.

I am organizing a prayer vigil for the recruits scheduled to graduate September 15, 2006. The crucible is the defining moment for every recruit and it is an exhausting and difficult culmination of weeks of very intense training. The chance of a failure and/or injury is great. We as parents will most assuredly be worried. We can pray for them. There may very well be some that are dropped or injured but God has a plan and knows what he is doing. But we can still tug on God's ear for protection and guidance. While researching for this I ran across this poem/prayer. The author is unknown.

When you awoke this morning to begin the crucible,
Did you know I walked every step with you that was possible?
When you humped all those miles over rough terrain, Did you know I was by your side again?When your rations were low and your belly was hungry, Did you know that I wished it wasn't you but instead it was me?
When your feet ached and blistered from stress, Did you know that I was carrying you deep in my chest?
When you were tired and sore and almost ready to fall, Did you realize I would have carried it all?
When you had little sleep and your eyes were red, Did you know I would have given you my bed?
When you had to push and pull for that extra mile, Did you know that I was so proud and so tall, with such a big smile?
When you went to bootcamp, I went to one too, It's the one where mom's worry over all you go through.
I couldn't eat dessert, knowing that you had no treats, I felt guilty for wanting a pedicure, when you had tired feet.
I anguished over ever tough moment, I thought you had; I cried when I missed you, I cried when I was sad.
I cried over your letters, that declared your love for "Mom".
I cried over thinking about the day you would come home.
I cringed if I thought someone was yelling at you, Even though I knew it's what they had to do.
I lost sleep just wondering how you are, I prayed and thought and even wished upon a star.
Now your almost through and soon you will be One of The Few The Proud, a New MARINE.
I get an Honor too for going through the bootcamp for Mom's.
I get to hug you and hold you in my arms.
I get to see how handsome you really are. I get my bright shining star.
No I don't get a medal or a pin to wear. I don't get to sport that awesome Marine Hair.
My reward is one that can't be seen. It's called "Being the Mom of a U.S. Marine."
Author unknown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home